Colorado Hi-Tec knows that working through the details and move planning process can sometimes leave you wondering where to start first. Here are some top helpful hints that will make planning a move much easier.
Things to do before Moving Day
- Advise immediately of any phone number or contact changes.
- Pack an overnight bag with necessities you might need before the unpacking begins at your new home.
- Label side of cartons, as opposed to the top, including your name and what room they belong in.
- Unplug stereo and computer components prior to packers arriving.
- Talk to neighbors about large semi -truck in front of house — ask them to please move their cars to accommodate truck if needed.
- Donate non-perishables — Ask about our Move For Hunger program. We’ll gladly take them to Food Bank of the Rockies for you.
- Put aside things like: keys, cell phones, chargers, documents, meds, passports, purses, garage door openers, etc.
- End paper delivery, mail delivery, milk delivery, etc.
- Have a layout prepared of each room at your new home to ensure the proper placement of your furniture.
- Be as ready as possible the night before the crew arrives.
- Be as organized as possible, disposing of anything not being moved prior to moving day.
- We recommend that you move plants in your personal vehicle. We cannot be responsible for the condition of your plants. We will move them as carefully as possible, but sudden changes in temperature and environment may damage a plant.
- Refrigerators and freezers need to be defrosted. Remove ice trays and other loose items. If the refrigerator is equipped with a water dispenser or automatic ice-maker, please make certain the water to the refrigerator is shut off.
- Disconnect washer and dryer. A plumber should disconnect gas dryers.
Tape all long-handled items together such as brooms, rakes, skis, etc.
- Empty and clean barbecue grills. Disconnect propane tank from grill. We cannot transport propane tanks.
- We’re prohibited from transporting flammable items. All gasoline-powered equipment, such as lawnmowers, must be drained and surface grease and oil removed.
- Tape all boxes closed.
- If doing your own packing, pack all glass, mirrors, pictures, etc.
- Do not use trash bags to substitute for boxes — they rip and break easily and will damage your belongings.
- Pack all small items in appropriate sized cartons. The less trips for the mover the quicker the process.